How to Replace Your Green Card

Oct 27, 2015 | Uncategorized

Basics on Waivers of Inadmissibility: Essential Guide for Law Firms

Struggling with complex waiver of inadmissibility cases?

Imagine turning these challenges into opportunities for your law firm.

Mastering the basics on waivers of inadmissibility can elevate your practice, leading to more successful outcomes, increased client satisfaction, and a stronger reputation.

In this article, we dive deep into everything you need to know about waivers of inadmissibility, from eligibility criteria to the application process.

Ready to boost your expertise and attract more clients? Read on to discover how.

Eligibility Criteria for Adjustment of Status

Losing your green card is stressful.

But replacing it doesn’t have to be.

Imagine a straightforward process, less anxiety, and a clear path to getting your new card.

Our guide simplifies every step, ensuring you can navigate the bureaucracy with ease.

No more worrying about delays or complicated procedures.

You may wonder how to replace your green card if it’s lost, stolen or damaged. Read more in this guide by The Law Office of Tatiane M. Silva, P.A.


Green Card Replacement


When you become a lawful permanent resident of the United States, you are issued a green card. Officially known as a Permanent Resident Card, it is physical proof of your right to work and live across the U.S. Moreover, you are legally required to carry it with you if you are 18 or older.
If you have lost your green card, your green card expired or was stolen, it’s crucial to replace it.
As a Miami immigration lawyer, I often advise my green card clients that they are responsible for replacing their green cards. Below are some frequently asked questions: Let’s explore when and how to replace your green card.


When Should You Replace Permanent Resident Card?


Lawful permanent residents should replace their green cards in the following situations:

  • Your previous card was lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed
  • Your card was issued to you before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday (unless your card expires before your 16th birthday)
  • You have been a commuter and are now taking up actual residence in the United States
  • You have been a permanent resident residing in the United States and are now taking up commuter status
  • Your status has been automatically converted to permanent resident status (this includes Special Agricultural Worker applicants who are converting to permanent resident status)
  • You have a previous version of the alien registration card (e.g., USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103, or Form I-151 – all no longer valid to prove your immigration status) and must replace it with a current green card
  • Your card contains incorrect information
  • Your name or other biographic information on the card has been legally changed since you last received your card, or
  • You never received the previous card that was issued to you by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

You should not wait to run into immigration problems before replacing your green card. Be proactive – ask your Miami immigration lawyer if you have any questions.


What Does the Immigration Law Say About Green Card Replacement?


Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states: “Every alien in the United States shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations.” It also says, “Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him. Any alien who fails to comply with [these provisions] shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.”

The specific requirements and procedures for applying to renew an expiring green card are contained in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR section 264.5.


How to Replace a Green Card?


Lawful permanent residents, as well as conditional permanent residents, have to complete certain steps if they need to replace their green cards.

They can begin the green card replacement application process by:

  • Online E-Filing Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.
  • Filing a paper Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card by mail.

In other words, the renewal procedure can be done either by mail or online. Generally, the required steps will depend on how you submit your application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In general, an applicant should also complete the following steps:

  • Collect the supporting documents
  • Pay the filing fee
  • Submit the application

If the USCIS approves the application, a new green card will be sent. However, if you are applying to renew your expired green card, your Form I-90 receipt notice may be used with your expired green card as evidence of your status.

If you have any questions as to this process, consulting a Miami immigration lawyer for more information can be a good move.


What Happens if I Am Outside the U.S. and Have Lost My Green Card?


If you are outside the U.S. and have lost your green card, contact the nearest U.S. consulate, USCIS office or port of entry before attempting to file a Form I-90. If your Form I-90 application is approved, you will be mailed a replacement green card with a 10-year expiration date from the date it is issued. Again, consider speaking with a Miami immigration lawyer if you have any questions about this process.


Have More Questions on Green Card Replacement Applications? Contact Us!


Although it’s not likely you’ll face problems, your application to replace a green card can be denied. So, it is always advisable to contact a Miami immigration lawyer.

Our team at The Law Office of Tatiane M. Silva, P.A. is dedicated to guiding you through your immigration procedures and helping you with any issues you may experience. Contact us today so we can use our knowledge and years of experience to ensure you obtain the most favorable outcome.