Dual Citizenship for United States Citizens

Oct 19, 2016 | Citizenship

Basics on Waivers of Inadmissibility: Essential Guide for Law Firms

Struggling with complex waiver of inadmissibility cases?

Imagine turning these challenges into opportunities for your law firm.

Mastering the basics on waivers of inadmissibility can elevate your practice, leading to more successful outcomes, increased client satisfaction, and a stronger reputation.

In this article, we dive deep into everything you need to know about waivers of inadmissibility, from eligibility criteria to the application process.

Ready to boost your expertise and attract more clients? Read on to discover how.

Eligibility Criteria for Adjustment of Status

As a Miami immigration lawyer, I have had numerous clients ask me about whether dual citizenship is allowed under U.S. law. Below are some frequently asked questions.

I am in the process of obtaining my U.S. citizenship, and would like to remain a citizen of another country. What are my options?
U.S. law allows for dual citizenship. Dual citizenship is upheld in various court decisions. (You can see this on the U.S. State Department’s website, for example, where it explains that: “U.S. law does not . . . require a person to choose one citizenship or another.”) The United States will not ask naturalizing citizens to take any steps to formally renounce the citizenship of their home country. Nor will it stop U.S. citizens from later adopting citizenship in another country – though if their intention is to give up U.S. citizenship, they can certainly do so. You may continue to vote in your home country, if it allows it. If you have any questions in regard to this, you may want to speak with a Miami immigration lawyer.

Does this mean that the United States will tolerate divided loyalties?
Absolutely not. Dual citizens must obey U.S. laws, uphold the U.S. Constitution, and in every other way adhere to the naturalization oath that they take. They are also required by the I.N.A. to carry their U.S. passport when leaving the U.S., and to present it upon reentry. (I.N.A. Section 215(b).) Again, if you have any questions in regard to this, you should speak with a Miami immigration attorney.

What else do I need to know about dual citizenship?
You should check if your home country forbids dual citizenship. If so, then becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen will result in the loss of your original citizenship. If you have any questions in regard to this, you should speak with a Miami immigration lawyer.

Where can I obtain information on dual citizenship as it pertains to my country of origin?
The various countries’ laws on dual citizenship change frequently, so your best bet is to get in touch with your country’s consulate within the U.S. and find out its latest stand on the matter. The answer you receive may not be a straightforward “yes” or “no.” You may, for instance, need to formally apply to your home country’s government in order to maintain citizenship there before you become a U.S. citizen. If you have any questions in regard to this, you should speak with a Miami immigration lawyer.

If you would like more information dual citizenship, please contact Miami immigration lawyer The Law Office of Tatiane M. Silva, P.A., Esq. at (305) 895-2500 or visit our website at tmsilvalaw.com.