DOMA and Prop 8 – What the Supreme Court Ruling Means for Gay Couples

Jul 7, 2013 | Uncategorized

Basics on Waivers of Inadmissibility: Essential Guide for Law Firms

Struggling with complex waiver of inadmissibility cases?

Imagine turning these challenges into opportunities for your law firm.

Mastering the basics on waivers of inadmissibility can elevate your practice, leading to more successful outcomes, increased client satisfaction, and a stronger reputation.

In this article, we dive deep into everything you need to know about waivers of inadmissibility, from eligibility criteria to the application process.

Ready to boost your expertise and attract more clients? Read on to discover how.

Eligibility Criteria for Adjustment of Status

The Supreme Court recently ruled that The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and Prop 8 are unconstitutional. By striking down the federal law defining marriage as between a man and a woman, this decision could potentially impact the lives of same-sex couples who are seeking to adjust their immigration status.

Hot off the heels of the SCOTUS decision, Janet Napolitano, Secretary of Homeland Security, released this statement:

“After last week’s decision by the Supreme Court holding that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional, President Obama directed federal departments to ensure the decision and its implication for federal benefits for same-sex legally married couples are implemented swiftly and smoothly. To that end, effective immediately, I have directed U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to review immigration visa petitions filed on behalf of a same-sex spouse in the same manner as those filed on behalf of an opposite-sex spouse.”

The decision in the DOMA case, which gives married gay couples all the federal benefits and rights that straight married couples are entitled to, could mean citizenship for an estimated 36,000 couples, according to Immigration Equality, a gay rights and immigration advocacy group. American citizens and green card holders can submit a petition to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for an international spouse to receive a green card. Furthermore, a green card holder who has lived in the U.S. and been married to an American for at least three years can apply for naturalization if other conditions are met.

For more information, visit , or email The Law Office of Tatiane M. Silva, P.A. at